About Me

My photo
melting but not down

Friday 13 March 2009

current knitting projects

The prototype:

Not the best of photos but you get the idea. I'm rather proud of my first attempt at knitting after a quarter of a century and I did receive lots of compliments when I wore it to work this week but....I made a few significant mistakes so won't be wearing it again (I'm now knitting 'raspberry waistcoat - the sequel). Things I have learned:
  1. Don't underestimate the size of your bosom - the sequel is a size larger.

  2. Don't cast on/off too tightly in rib, I've now learned a great 2-fingered method (steady now) which gives a neat and stretchy edge.

  3. NEVER press acrylic yarn, no matter how low the iron temperature and the use of a proper ironing sheet between iron and fabric. The sequel's patterns will not be flattened.

  4. Leave plenty of yarn at joins, it will be easier to weave invisibly into the finished seams.

  5. NEVER knit when you're tired.

I also have 'on the needle' a cardigan for my husband which I'm knitting on needles half a size larger to scale up the pattern for his humungous chest. Hopefully, it will look like this:

the back so far--->

1 comment:

oldcrow61 said...

Very nice Lily and such a pretty colour.